Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Twenty10:33

DSC_0081

I've always loved my father in law. He is a really great man. A really, really great man. He is quiet, but always thinking and listening. He is reserved, classy, and modest. He is successful, but humble. He is intelligent, but open minded. He is kind, but firm. He reminds me a lot of my dad. And in many ways is like a dad to me. But I loved him even more when I heard a little story about him recently, and I wanted to write about it.

Nick retired several years ago after working for 32 years for the same company. He started at the bottom of the barrel at Printpack Inc. many years ago, and worked his way up to the top over the years. Nick is a loyal man. A very loyal man. When he retired, he had served as the Vice President of Human Resources for a major corporation for over a decade. After he retired he decided it was time to take up walking. He was getting older, and needed the workout, but most importantly...he needed something to do. So he walks. And he walks. And he is now up to walking 6 miles a day. He has a path. He is a pretty routine guy. And he follows his path everday.

But what is special about Nick is not that he walks everyday, or that he retired after many years of success....it is how humble he has stayed thru the years. He doesn't just walk, he picks up trash....and recyclables for six miles each day. Did I mention he walks SIX miles a day....and picks up trash along side the road? And to make his daughter in law love him ever more....he brings 2 seperate bags with him....one for recyling, and one for throw away. Keep in mind that he was a high roller for many years. He doesn't have to do this....he chooses to. And the best part? He doesn't do it for recognition, he does it because that is Nick. He does what is right. Always has.

Someone noticed. And now he is being interviewed by the local Newspaper. People want to know about this sweet man who walks the streets everyday and cleans up there neighborhood......for nothing.

I am all about Humble. Humble, to me, is the most charming quality a person can have. Period. I can't think of anything more unattractive than someone who brags and boasts. Nick is truly humble. And I love that about him. God calls us to be humble......to do things out of love for the others and not for selfish motives. To give without telling anyone and to spread kindness without boasting about how great we are. I feel lucky to have a whole gaggle of parents who have shown me this very precious quality.....Nick being one of them. I know he is very uncomfortable with being interviewed by a Newspaper because he is too humble to want people to know what he does....but I am so proud for him that I feel the need to brag about him. That's okay, right?

4 comments:

  1. Suz, what a sweet thing you have written about Nick! He has to be so proud to have a daughter-in-law like you!

    If you get a hold of the article and it is on a website, please post, I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father-in-law reminds me of the sweet man who lived on Shallowford road who use to wave to everyday, rain or shine. He didn't do it because he had to, he did it because he loved to.

    What a nice post about Nick. I ditto Jen, if you get a hold of the article please post! We definitely need more kind person like Nick around. He could definitely teach these younger kids a thing or to about respect, loyalty and work ethic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post!!! He is lucky to have a daughter in law like YOU who appreciates him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Nick and love what you wrote about him. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete